Kyle Phelan – Owner and Head Coach
Phelan Golf Academy
|What led you to becoming a PGA Professional?
|It all started with a love for the game of golf, the sport that has been with me since I was 12 years old. The PGA gave me the opportunity to pursue a career in a field I am extremely passionate about.
|How long have you been in your current position?
|What does your job entail?
|· Overseeing the operational procedures of the Centurion Country Club Driving Range.
· Formulating and implementing all performance programmes in conjunction with my Junior Coordinator.
· Educating my colleagues.
· Looking for and creating new opportunities and/or products/services for the business.
· Working closely with the managers and Head Professional at Centurion Country Club.
|Do you have any environmental or sustainability goals that you have met and would like to share?
|Please give us a brief outline of the path you took to lead you to your current position||· 2008-2012 Studied at the University of Pretoria and obtained my degree in Sport Science and my PGA Diploma.
· 2013-2014 Worked for the HPC at the University Campus Driving range as a Coach.
· 2014-2017 Worked for the HPC as the Facility Manager/Coach at Centurion Country Club.
· 2018-2019 Worked as the Head coach of Centurion Country Club.
· 2019-Current Founded the Phelan Golf Academy at Centurion Country Club.
|Why do you feel that you would be a good candidate to win this award?
|Coach: I have been privileged enough to work with every level of golfer, from the beginner starting out to the professionals. Being able to adapt my coaching style to suit each person’s needs and personalities is one of my strengths. I believe that getting the best out of a player requires an holistic approach, not only working on the technical aspects but also the mental, physical and tactical aspects. Continual growth and learning is important to me and forms the basis of being the best PGA Professional that I can be.
Entrepreneur: 2020 has been a year of change for most industries but especially for the golf industry. Being able to use the opportunities that present themselves in times like this is important and crucial. I have been able to use this time and opportunity to evolve and change the way I run my business and grow the business to not only survive but thrive. I believe that this highlights why am a good candidate for this award.