Michael Michell – Head PGA Teaching Professional, MichellGolf, Clovelly CC
|What led you to becoming a PGA Professional?
|From a very young age I had a passion to play golf on tour. This led me on the road to a career in professional golf.|
|How long have you been in your current position?
|What does your job entail?
|My main function at Clovelly is to for fill the role as Head Teaching Professional. With the MichellGolf team we take care of all coaching needs of our members and visitors under the following programs:
1. Junior Program
2. Learn to play golf program
3. Raymond Ackerman Golf Academy
4. High Performance program
5. Dedicated student program
Our job involves working on and off the course with our students as well as working together with our management team and committees to enhance member participation and retention as well as growing golf at Clovelly.
|Do you have any environmental or sustainability goals that you have met and would like to share?
|Our sustainability goal is to retain membership through a number of participation programs as well as continually growing the game and establishing new members.|
|Please give us a brief outline of the path you took to lead you to your current position||· I started by gaining my tour card on the Sunshine Tour in 1992
· Got my PGA qualification in 1996
· Worked as assistant golf professional at Clovelly CC from 1992 to 1999 as well keeping my tour card on the Sunshine Tour during this time.
· In 1999 to 2002 I travelled and played golf in Europe and Australia trying to gain my tour card on the European Tour. I also taught golf in Sydney, Australia as well as working in Nevada Bobs for 8 months during this time.
· From 2003 – 2006 I returned to Clovelly to coach part time while continuing to compete on the Sunshine Tour.
I also took on the role as course design and advisor at Clovelly and helped set up the start of the Raymond Ackerman Golf Academy during this period.
During 1996 my teaching academy was really starting to grow and I decided to play my last event, as Tour professional, at the co-sanctioned Alfred Dunhill Championship (Leopard Creek) shooting 64 to qualify and making the cut.
· From 2007 to 2014 I coached full time at Clovelly. Worked with the WP under 18 team for two years. Coached World Champion golfer Kelli Sheen, Sunshine Tour Winner Alan Michell as well a number of other Tour Players I’d travelled and played with over the years. Most importantly many hundreds and thousands of members and visitors. I also represented and Captained the SA PGA team in the PGA’s of Europe Team Champs as well as serving on WP PGA committee.
· From 2015 I was joined by my brother and we formed MichellGolf taking over our current function as listed above.
|Why do you feel that you would be a good candidate to win this award?
|I’ve been very fortunate to be involved in professional golf for 28 years now. I love helping people improve their golf game, no matter their ability. I pride myself in getting results! There is nothing more rewarding hearing someone say “Coach I shot my lowest score today” or going on a journey with a passionate student and seeing them reaching their goal. I believe you learn as much from students as you teach and ultimately they are your judges. Always be humble and never stop learning!|