Nico van Eeden – Head of Golf
Die Hoërskool Menlopark Gholf Akademie
|What led you to becoming a PGA Professional?
|I played professionally on the Sunshine Tour and Mini- Tours in the US but always felt that I wanted to help others become better at playing the game we all love so dearly.|
|How long have you been in your current position?
|What does your job entail?
|The planning and implementation of all golf activities at Die Hoërskool Menlopark.
My Duties included the following:
· Planning the schools golf development program.
· Managing all league and tournament activities.
· Running all day to day golf operations.
· Writing and updating golf as a school subject syllabus.
· Conducting classes for Grade 8 and Grade 9 Learners who chose golf as an additional subject.
· Drawing up and grading of exam papers.
· Working with the coaching staff in implementing improvement strategies for each learner.
· Conducting lessons.
· Planning of school golf tours and matches.
· Engaging with parents regarding their children’s golfing progress.
· Engaging with teachers regarding learner’s academic performance.
|Do you have any environmental or sustainability goals that you have met and would like to share?
|· Expand our program further by helping primary schools in our area.
· Maintaining and delivering a tour level experience to our learners.
· In the long term I would like to develop golf into a school sport by establishing more centres located at schools and by doing so exposing more learners to the sport.
|Please give us a brief outline of the path you took to lead you to your current position||· Played professionally from 2005-2010
· Started coaching mid 2009.
· Coached numerous players to national and international titles and positions. Worked extensively with Special Olympic golfers to create more opportunities for mentally handicapped golfers.
· Die Hoërskool Menlopark approached me in late 2015 to start a school golf program with the main focus of developing golf into a school sport and by doing so creating the opportunity for more learners to play golf.
|Why do you feel that you would be a good candidate to win this award?
|It is my opinion that I am good candidate for this award based on the following facts:
· Our program has grown from 4 learners at the end of 2015 to a current 116 learners.
· Our school entered 14 teams in the 2019 schools league.
· Our program has delivered 11 players that have represented various provinces on different levels.
· We have been blessed with players that have won national and international titles.
· Our program has granted the opportunity for players who are mentally handicapped as well as players who come from previously disadvantaged backgrounds the opportunity to play golf.